I got two cheap cotton t-shirts from my local family dollar. Total of $10. (By the way, you can find the original tutorial here. I made some adjustments to the width of the strips because she's an extra small and I'm...not.
Here's the shirt before I did anything to it. This is actually the shirt that I will be wearing. It turned out to be a touch too big but it is 100% cotton so I am confident I
The shirt I bought to cut down was a 3X. I wanted as much fabric as I could get for $5.00.
I cut the sleeves off and opened them up. I was planning on using the body for something else that didn't work out.
First I cut a strip 3 inches wide from the center of the sleeve so it would be as long as possible. From the center of the other sleeve, I cut a strip 2.25 inches wide.
Then I cut two more strips 3 inches wide (from shorter parts of the sleeve) and two more that were 2.25 inches wide. I squared off the edges and placed them on top of one another. A more narrow strip on top of a wider one.
Then I gathered the strip and put it in the middle of the shirt. I did the same with the other two (slightly shorter) strips.
I didn't like the way this strip just started from nowhere and was kind of hanging out there.
I placed at the neckline and curved it around just a bit back into a straight line.
I pinned all three strips into place and stitched. That's it. Here's the finished product. (P.S. I don't wear makeup or do my hair on the weekends!)