Monday, June 17, 2013

12-Star Chicken



But we're not taking butts today.  More like wings.  And drumsticks, thighs and breasts.  Friday night, I made the best fried chicken I have ever made.  We just had two leg quarters in the house so it didn't last long. The next night, husband asked if I could make more chicken and I knew I was on to something!  I don't usually talk about food here, that's more the husband's realm but I thought I would share my recipe for deliciousness.  Making fried chicken isn't difficult, only messy.  But counters was up afterwards.  I highly recommend wearing an apron.  When you fry chicken, grease splatters and I have ruined many a shirt that way.

Ingredients
1 whole chicken cut up (eight pieces)
1 and 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
1 and 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp seasoning salt

Combine herbs in a large bowl.  I like to use a large tupperware like container.  Add the flour and mix very well.  Heat your pan.  I have done this in both an electric skillet (which I heat to 375 degree) and in my cast iron skillet which I heat medium high.  When your skillet is close to being very hot, drop your chicken pieces into the flour, a few at a time, put the lid on your container and shake very well to coat.  Put those pieces on a clean plate and repeat with remaining pieces.

Add oil to your pan about 3/4 inches deep.  I like to use a combination of vegetable oil and bacon drippings.  The bacon drippings really help to flavor the gravy if you're going to make homemade gravy.  When the oil is hot (it will look sort of shimmery) add a few pieces of chicken to the oil.  You're likely going to have to do this in two batches.  After cooking the chicken for a few minutes and it starts to get crispy and golden brown, I turn down the heat just a touch.  Then heat your oven to 275 degrees.  We've gotten the outside crispy, now we need to cook the meat.  It takes about fifteen minutes to cook a thigh or leg and longer for the breast, shorter for the wings.  When your chicken is cooked through, put it in the oven to keep warm while you cook the other chicken. 

Why 12 Star chicken?  That's what my husband called it.  He often likes to put a bit of honey on his chicken.  When we ate this, I offered to get him the honey and he said no thanks.  It was too good without it.  He called it 12 Star Chicken.  I hope your loved one is as appreciative as mine was!!  Who knows, you might even get them to do the dishes.  Good luck!  I'll cover gravy later this week.  What's fried chicken without mashed potatoes and gravy?!?!



No comments: