Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Meet My New BFF

Laurel.  This lovely pattern from Colette is SO dang versatile.  A simple shift dress, it comes with multiple sleeve options, a blouse option, and a free ebook to make even more styles.  I don't know that I could ever get tired of this.  I did make my first two versions of this dress in the size indicated by the sizing chart.  It was way too loose and boxy and I ended up taking off about three inches on each side seam.  I am super pleased with the resulting fit.  Here is my first Laurel dress.
I've had the Amy Butler fabric sitting around for several months and this was the perfect little start of summer creation for which to use it.
I really like the darts in the back of this dress and feel it adds some good shape.  Also, I found I didn't need to put in a zipper, it slips right over the head and that added to the simplicity of sewing (and subtracted form the amount of time it took to complete!).  I didn't love having to make my own 1/4" bias tape for the neck and arms holes.  I don't have a bias tape maker and hand folding tape that narrow was not easy.  Still, I think it turned out just great.  I wore it to work on one of the last few days and got a lot of compliments.  I think it will really help me to stay cool in our non-air-conditioned schools in August and look adorable with a sweater and boots this fall.  I am super excited about this dress.

No comments: